Tuesday, May 25, 2010

religions and languages

Michael is back on his blog!

and writing some lovely bits that I am happy to pass on. His latest blog is about Samaritans. http://michaelcardensjottings.blogspot.com/2010/05/samaritans.html

It brings back memories of the trip to Palestine and Israel last year. 

near the end he writes:


Like languages, religions express something about what it means to be human. The death of a religion, like the death of a language is an irreparable loss. Religious diversity must be fostered, encouraged, sustained and celebrated; respected.


An important point that I hadn't really seen before. That Language and Religion can be the cradles, the containers in which we hold our culture and our humanity.

Languages I see as dying out too fast. And I was watching SBS tonight about the teaching of ethics being available to students who do not take SRE (special religious education). It is a philosophy based programme, not about morality. Seems very good to me. But where does that leave "religion"?  Is there any place for it in our society? I certainly think so, and think that the University chaplaincy is one place to ask the question.  I am getting closer to making up a uni blog there.

No comments:

Post a Comment