Friday, October 16, 2009

Issues

And now for something entirely different. (although sorting of photos is continuing here.)

Issues are crowding in upon me.

Palestine and reflecting on the journey... Women in Black are having trouble getting vigils on Friday and I have not gone in since returning. I think that the Jerusalem women need to be supported with our vigils and the solidarity that offers.
I did not write a letter to the editor responding to people who were responding to Avigail. I did not want to be drawn into their agendas, or answer the questions that their attitudes raise. I need to write my own story; tell the stories that I saw and heard in Palestine (West Bank and East Jerusalem).

Issues about environment and global warming loom large and Fred went to a session on bulk buying of solar panels with local faith communities this week. I need to let Solartec know that we are home so that our ordered extra panels can be installed! :) The welcome rain that is still falling means that more fuel will grow before a potentially disasterous fire season starts.

My church is an inclusive, accepting church; my god especially so. A god who "consorts with sinners and taxpayers." John Bell has a lovely story about the prostitutes and tarts in Matthew's genealogy of Jesus. Much of the October Changing Attitude blog has comment about two important statements this week from bishops. Peter Selby and Jack Spong both speak.write about the process of the debate. It is time to say that it is over. (For Bp Spong at least!) There is a lot in those October comments by Colin. Anglicans need to read especially about the covenant and perhaps also comments about the Archbishop of Canterbury. It's not easy, but some things need to be said.

Australian politics has been enlivened this week by the sad story of Sri Lankan asylum seekers caught now in Indonesia. Malcolm Fraser has chided the coalition for "scratching the redneck nerve". It has certainly been scratched. Senator Hanson Young has visited Christmas Island detention centre and returned with scathing criticism. I have work to do here too.

But today was a joy and a wonder. I spent the day at the Wesley Centre's Third National Seminar on Word and Music in Worship. A breath of fresh air for me (and my lungs) but still echoes of the "bawling" that came when I was listening to the South African anthemn in the aeroplane a little over a week ago. "I will sing the Lord's song until justice comes into this land" was the motto of the Imologue Kantu choir of South Africa. I daresay they still need to be singing that song. Today we heard of the importance of singing justice; saying justice. It then becomes possible; imperative; to think and do justice. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment