Tuesday, October 27, 2009

gender roles and angry conservatism....

Brian's blog http://www.nottoomuch.com/pivot/entry.php?id=1843 has a comment on the Vatican's overtures to disaffected Anglican clergymen. (deliberately gender specific.) He quotes the Church Times' Editorial of 23 October 2009. One paragraph in particular caught my attention:

This much broader struggle within Christianity at first sight appears to be about sex. Throughout the world, the most easily heard tone in religion (not just Christianity) is of a generally angry conservatism. Why? I hazard that the anger centres on a profound shift in gender roles traditionally given a religious significance and validated by religious traditions. . . .
I don't think that I had actually noticed how the shift in gender roles has stirred up angry conservatism. I guess it is obvious, or at least understandable, but do we "blame" feminism for the increasing fundamentalism in so many religions? I never did take feminism seriously enough! I think that maybe it is time that I did!  :-) Thanks Brian!

No comments:

Post a Comment