Thursday, February 11, 2010

The politics of maps

I grew up with maps and atlases. I remember sitting on my father's lap and looking at the world! I grew up and became a geographer. Some years ago I heard a commentator talking about the political and military uses of maps. I had thought they were innocuous beautiful things that showed you the world. Yes, but also rivers, cities, passes; all very military. Now a geographer who maps Israeli settlements in the occupied territories has been banned from travel for six months. (Not a good situation for a geographer to be in!)
http://theonlydemocracy.org/2010/02/palestinian-expert-on-israeli-settlements-and-cartography-barred-from-travel/
The settlement maps do show how some Israelis are "eating up" Palestinian land.

As Australians hear of nightime raids on a local Canberran in Ramallah we are perhaps more aware of what is happening in Israel and Palestine.

No comments:

Post a Comment